Multifunction printers, or MFPs, are standalone devices that perform a multitude of tasks, which may include any combination of copying, scanning, faxing and/or printing. Thanks to their compact size and affordability, they’ve become an increasingly popular choice among business owners who are looking for creative ways to consolidate their assets, while increasing productivity, enhancing workflow, and trimming expenses. As with any major acquisition, there are a number of factors to consider prior to making your final decision.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are your particular needs? No two businesses are alike, so be sure to carefully consider your individual needs prior to purchase. Determine how many users will utilize the MFP each day, which functions they will need to perform, and whether or not any of them will need to be in colour.
- What is the total cost of operation? The lease or purchase price is only a small part of the equation when it comes to the cost of an MFP. Factor in the cost of consumables such as toner and paper, and maintenance and repair costs.
- Is the MFP user friendly? Enhance productivity with an MFP that is easy to use, easy to connect to your existing network, and offers easily accessible documentation and assistance.
- What functions can it perform? As important as choosing an MFP with the right capabilities, is its ability to multitask, so that users can access the functions they need even while others are currently in use.
- How secure is the device? Protect sensitive information with up to date, scale-able security that meets your needs and requirements.
- What are the bi-directional communication capabilities? The key to ensuring your print network runs consistently and efficiently is through the timely access to accurate information by IT personnel and users. Job and device status capabilities allow all parties to view the job status and queues across your print network, in order to accurately predict, prevent, or solve problems and enhance productivity.
- What type of warranty comes with the system? Is the warranty from the service provider or the manufacturer directly? What is the length of the warranty, 30 days, 90 days, 3 years? Is the warranty included in the lease and service contract? Finally, if you are leasing the system be sure to check the fine print before signing so there are no surprises and hidden fees.
A multifunction printer is a welcome addition to any office environment, helping to streamline document workflow, increase productivity, and save money by consolidating the number of machines in your print network. Contact us today to learn more!